> I misinterpreted your question. Obviously.

My question wasn't clear. Obviously ;-)

> I can't help you with coding. If you grok tex, the sort routines for both
> the bibtex bst files and the latex sty files are editable.

I don't, but I gave it a go anyway. And guess what? It worked. Here's what
I did:

Make a copy of apalike.bst (or probably any other bibtex style file that
sorts by author). Edit the copy:

 - In function "sort.format.names", replace the line
    s num.names$ 'numnames :=
   by
    #1 'numnames :=

   Now, the variable numnames contains always "1", and not the actual
   number of author or editor names. This way, only the first author is
   checked.

 - Make sure that the function "bib.sort.order" sorts by label then year.
   This reads as follows:
   FUNCTION {bib.sort.order}
   { sort.label
     "    "
     *
     year field.or.null sortify
     *
   ... some more stuff

   I believe this is the default.

Now use the new style, and the bibliography is sorted by last name of
first auther, then year.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know anything about bibtex style files or tex. This
might by a _very_ bad hack, I wouldn't be able to tell. It seems to work
at first glance, but I haven't really tested it a lot yet.