Nelson Hogg wrote:
> Has anyone else experienced a problem with the search paths for bibtex
> files? I find I have to have the .bst, database, and style files (even
> tho 1.2 claims to impliment natbib it doesn't work for me and I have to
> include it in the preamble) all in the directory I am working from. It
> might also be true of graphics files but I haven't tested that. Wasn't
> true of earlier versions.

I don't think there is a difference from 1.1.6.

In any case, locating files by latex/bibtex is done by kpathsea.
You can read its documentation (e.g., by typing info kpathsea).
For a short answer, you can just set the environment variable
BIBINPUTS to, for example,  :/home/dekel/bib/
(note the : at the beginning).