Hello,

I am a long time user of lyx but am having the same sort of problem as was mentioned
on the lists once about missing menu entries in the VIEW menu (for viewing as
{ps|pdf|dvi|...}). I saw the problem this person was having was related to .lyx config
files from 1.2.0 being used with 1.2.1, so I removed ~/.lyx, tried reconfigure and
still no enties.

I played with the "lyx -dbg init" and playing with prefereneces (selecting gv and such
in the gv conversion display section). This got me up to a HTML (after adding viewer
as dillo), Latex (view as emacs) and Ascii (viewer as emacs) entries in VIEW menu.

I am really not understanding why it can't find the entries for all the tools
installed for conversions which are in the same place they have always been
(/usr/bin); gv, xdvi, ps2<whatever>, etc....

So now I have uninstalled lyx, cleaned out all my user lyx files in ~/.lyx and setup
again to be able to report from a clean install.

I run a sourcebased linux distro called SourceMage, have compiled lyx with the
following setup:

  ./configure  --build=i686 --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc  --localstatedir=/var
  make
  make install

This puts everything in /usr/share/lyx with the exception of:
/usr/bin/{lyx | noweb2lyx | reLyX}
/usr/doc/lyx
/usr/man/man1/{lyx.1 | reLyX.1}

The output from "lyx -dbg init":
Setting debug level to init
Debugging `init' (Program initialisation)
Initializing LyXGUI...
Initializing LyXGUI...done
Initializing LyX::init...
Name of binary: lyx
Path of binary: /home/erics/
Checking whether LyX is run in place... no
System directory search path: /home/share/lyx/;/usr/share/lyx
System directory: '/usr/share/lyx/'
User LyX directory: '/home/erics/.lyx/'
DPI setting detected to be 75.4917
About to read lyxrc.defaults...
Found lyxrc.defaults in /home/erics/.lyx/lyxrc.defaults
About to read preferences...
Could not find preferences
About to read lyxrc...
Could not find lyxrc
About to read encodings...
Reading encoding iso8859-2
   <snip more encodings>
About to read languages...
Reading language afrikaans
   <snip reding more languages>
Reading layouts...
About to read default...
Found default in /usr/share/lyx/ui/default.ui
LyX tmp dir: `/tmp/lyx_tmpdir16236XPlMFO'
Reading lastfiles `/home/erics/.lyx/lastfiles'...
Initializing LyX::init...done
Initializing LyXView...
Initializing LyXFunc
Initializing LyXView...done
Initializing key mappings...

And output from reconfigure:
checking for a LaTeX2e program... (latex latex2e)
+checking for "latex"... not useable
+checking for "latex2e"... no
checking for a LaTeX -> LyX converter... (reLyX)
+checking for "reLyX"... yes
checking for a Noweb -> LyX converter... (noweb2lyx)
+checking for "noweb2lyx"... yes
checking for a Noweb -> LaTeX converter... (noweave)
+checking for "noweave"... no
checking for a HTML -> Latex converter... (html2latex)
+checking for "html2latex"... no
checking for a MSWord -> Latex converter... (wvCleanLatex word2x)
+checking for "wvCleanLatex"... no
+checking for "word2x"... no
checking for Image converter... (convert)
+checking for "convert"... yes
checking for a Postscript interpreter... (gs)
+checking for "gs"... yes
checking for a Postscript previewer... (gv ghostview)
+checking for "gv"... yes
checking for a PDF preview... (acroread gv ghostview xpdf)
+checking for "acroread"... yes
checking for a DVI previewer... (xdvi windvi yap)
+checking for "xdvi"... yes
checking for a HTML previewer... (netscape)
+checking for "netscape"... no
checking for a PS to PDF converter... (ps2pdf)
+checking for "ps2pdf"... yes
checking for a DVI to PS converter... (dvips)
+checking for "dvips"... yes
checking for a DVI to PDF converter... (dvipdfm)
+checking for "dvipdfm"... no
checking for a *roff formatter... ('groff -t -Tlatin1 16243FName' nroff)
+checking for "groff"... yes
checking for ChkTeX... (chktex -n1 -n3 -n6 -n9 -n22 -n25 -n30 -n38)
+checking for "chktex"... no
checking for a spell-checker... (ispell)
+checking for "ispell"... yes
checking for a fax program... (ksendfax)
+checking for "ksendfax"... no
checking for SGML-tools 1.x (LinuxDoc)... (sgml2lyx)
+checking for "sgml2lyx"... yes
checking for SGML-tools 2.x (DocBook) or db2x scripts... (sgmltools db2dvi)
+checking for "sgmltools"... no
+checking for "db2dvi"... no
checking for a spool command... (lp lpr)
+checking for "lp"... no
+checking for "lpr"... no
checking for a LaTeX -> HTML converter... (tth latex2html hevea)
+checking for "tth"... no
+checking for "latex2html"... yes
checking for an Image -> EPS converter... (convert pnmtops)
+checking for "convert"... yes
checking for an Image -> PNG converter... (convert pnmtopng)
+checking for "convert"... yes
checking for an Image -> XPM converter... (convert)
+checking for "convert"... yes
checking for an EPS -> PDF converter... (epstopdf)
+checking for "epstopdf"... yes
checking for a Grace -> Image converter... (gracebat)
+checking for "gracebat"... no
checking for an FIG -> EPS/XPM converter... (fig2dev)
+checking for "fig2dev"... no
checking LaTeX configuration... default values
creating textclass.lst
creating packages.lst
creating doc/LaTeXConfig.lyx
creating lyxrc.defaults
checking for TeX fonts
checking [for cmex10]... no
checking [for cmmi10]... no
checking [for cmr10]... no
checking [for cmsy10]... no
checking [for eufm10]... no
checking [for msam10]... no
checking [for msbm10]... no
removing textclass.lst, which is identical to the system global version
removing packages.lst, which is identical to the system global version
removing doc/LaTeXConfig.lyx, which is identical to the system global version
mv: cannot stat `xfonts/fonts.dir': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `xfonts/fonts.dir.new': No such file or directory

I have just used the document that opens in the begining (splash.lyx).
Any ideas? I have lost a complete day trying to sort this out.... :(

--
Mvg/Regards,

/*  Eric Schabell
 *    CentER Applied Research - Tilburg, The Netherlands
 *
 *    e-mail            : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 *    Homepage          : http://infolab.kub.nl/people/erics
 *    SourceMage        : http://www.sourcemage.org
 */