On Monday 28 October 2002 12:16 pm, John Levon wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 04:42:18PM +0000, José Luis Gómez Dans wrote:
> > > won't hurt. And, as you all are probably tired of hearing me say, BY
> > > FAR the worst LyX deficiency is the lack of character styles, and
> > > that should be top priority in 1.4. There's only so long the color
> >
> >     Sorry, but could you enlighten me to what character styles are?
>
> A decent character style system allows you to create semantic names and
> associate those with visual mark-up, on a character level.
>
> So you can define a "Employee" style, and set the style to always be
> italic or whatever.
>
> It is without a doubt the number one missing functionality from LyX.
>
> regards
> john

Exactly! My book, "Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist"
discusses the 10 step Universal Troubleshooting Process. Each step is a short
phrase. It was absolutely vital that any references to these steps have their
own appearance. I wanted the ability to highlight the phrase, click a drop
box similar to the current Environment drop box, and pick out the UTP_step
character style, thereby formatting the style. But LyX lacks that ability.

One might suggest I simply fine tune every occurrence of a UTP step in my
book. But look at the disadvantages:

* It's an affront to the WYSIWYM philosophy.
* Mistake prone: One would need to remember the exact formatting of steps
throughout the book.
* If one ever wanted to change the appearance of the steps, it would require
hunting them all down. Even a VI search and replace wouldn't work because
those same font attributes could be applied to other pieces of text.

Four chapters into the book I discovered the lack of character styles, and
almost dumped LyX. Fortunately, Dekel Tsur showed me how to apply colors to
character styles to accomplish what I wanted. The result is an outstanding
book.

But even so, the limited number of colors forced me to format source code
scraps (source code phrases inside an otherwise normal paragraph) as a
monospaced font, rather than as a character style. So if it's ever necessary
to format these source code snippets differently, it would require several
days of painstaking and mistake prone work.

WordPerfect had character styles since their 1988 Version 5.0. When I started
working with MS Word in 1994, it had character styles. StarOffice and
OpenOffice have them. As a matter of fact, if you want to understand
character styles, OpenOffice is an excellent way to learn about them.

In every way OTHER than character styles, LyX beats the daylights out of
WordPerfect, Word, StarOffice, OpenOffice, and all the others when it comes
to writing long documents. IMHO LyX should be fitted with character styles as
soon as possible.

Steve

Steve Litt
Author:
  * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
  * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
  * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist
http://www.troubleshooters.com

Troubleshooters.Com Webmaster
(Legal Disclaimer) Follow these suggestions at your own risk.