Myriam Abramson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Hi!
>
> Do you always have to number your equations or only when they are
> referred to in the text?
>
> For example, if I introduce an equation thusly:
>
> The bang-bang force is applied to the right if
>
>                        equation here in display mode
>
> Do I need to number it?
>
> Please help me resolve this issue. Thanks.

I believe that some journals prefer that you number only those equations
refered to elsewhere.  Personally, I prefer to number just those
equations; it seems to make the paper a bit cleaner.

If you are submitting to a journal, check their author instructions
(always a good idea in any case).  If the instructions are silent on this
question, then either approach should be ok.

-- Paul

Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone:    (517) 432-3509
Department of Management                       Fax:      (517) 432-1111
The Eli Broad Graduate School of Management    E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Michigan State University
http://www.msu.edu/~rubin/
East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE