Till von Reumont wrote:
> 1.) whenever i trie to use bibtex styles other than plain or alpha (say
> for example gerplain or geralpha) i get lyx errors. i thought maybe its
> the path settings for bibtex (setting for where it should look for
> bst). i just can't figure out how to tell bibtex the paths... maybe its
> something other than that, i dont know.

Where did you put them?

Run this in console

kpsepath bst

and put the .bst file in one the mentioned directories. Then run
texhash (again in console and as a root). The final test that
everything works is to run (say)

kpsewhich geralpha.bst

(it should return the full path of the .bst file).

> 2.) i have no idea on how to install dictionaries for either ispell or
> aspell... english is working ok, but when i switch to german i get
> error messages on my x11 console, telling me it cant find dictionaries.
> i tried to download dictionaries for aspell and ispell, but i didn't
> find any useful installation hints (i am totally new to all this!)

Which of them you have -- decide for one and trash the other?
What happens when you create some german text (with plain text
editor in a file say filename.txt) and then you run this command
in console:

   ispell -dgerman filename.txt

If it fails, you do not have installed particular package (do you
have Max OS X or Linux; if the former, do you use fink?) with
ispell/aspell German dictionary. Do install it.

   Have a nice day,

      Matej

--
Matej Cepl,
Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they
can bribe the people with their own money.
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville