Andre Poenitz wrote:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 10:20:49PM +1100, Steven Homolya wrote:

If messages on this list are any indication, there are a lot of people using Lyx in MS-Windows (with Cygwin).
Which begs the question where we failed...
Failed to make it clear that one does not need to look for a "LyX-like type setting program for Windows" because Lyx works on MS-Windows. (As I far as I understand, most open source stuff can be run in Cygwin. ? )

More or less. Usually there is quite some pain as it does not integrate
as well as applications specifically developed for MS Windwows.

Which leads to over-generalization "OSS does not work well" (as in
"cannot read MS-Word files flawlessly").
I was wondering whether it would be possible to have LyX use the OpenOffice Word filters rather than wv. wv does a pretty good job on many Word documents, but it tends to choke on complicated formatting and some charsets.

One way to avoid that impression is simply by not supporting MS Windows at
all. Maybe not the best, but certainly the simplest.
True, but I think now the Qt version is up and running, a native Windows version is a realistic goal. Whether it would be worth the effort is uncertain - that's something for interested developers to decide.

Robin

--
" Like these cutters, and hackers, who will take the wall of men, and picke quarrells."
- G. Pettie

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi