On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 07:08:17PM +0000, Angus Leeming wrote:
> I have a bunch of eps graphs that I'd like to annotate with LaTeX
> (axis labels, stuff like that). Can anyone give me some pointers to
> the best way to go about this?

1. xfig, write  $a^3$ there, mark the text as 'special', do separate
   tex/eps export  or use something like

        #!/bin/sh

        # usage: fig2eps foo.fig foo.eps

        TMPDIR=/tmp
        BASE=fig2epstmp_$$
        PSNAME=fig2epstmp_content_$$.ps

        echo "
        \\documentclass{article}
        \\usepackage{epsfig}
        \\usepackage{color}
        \\pagestyle{empty}
        \\begin{filecontents}{$PSNAME}
        `fig2dev -L pstex $1`
        \\end{filecontents}
        \\begin{document}
        \\begin{center}
        `fig2dev -L pstex_t -p $PSNAME $1`
        \\end{center}
        \\end{document}
        " > $TMPDIR/$BASE.tex

        (
                cd $TMPDIR ;
                latex $BASE.tex ;
                # sometimes empty pages at the beginning are produced. Just use the
last
                # one.
                dvips -f $BASE.dvi | psselect _1 > $BASE.tmpeps
                #rm -f $BASE.tex $BASE.log $BASE.dvi $BASE.aux $PSNAME
        )
        #mv $TMPDIR/$BASE.tmpeps $2
        eps2eps -- $TMPDIR/$BASE.tmpeps $2
        #rm $TMPDIR/$BASE.tmpeps

or

2. use pstricks.

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security,
will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. (T. Jefferson)