Hello,

hugh a. duguid wrote:
I have reviewed the sections on Math Macros, 5.1, etc and still need help setting up a math macro with arguments.
Specifically, I'd like to have a summation with the upper and lower limits, as well as the argument of the summation empty so that they can be filled in as needed.
It appears that I do not understand the math-macro-arg <number> business.
I'm using lyx-1.2.1 on Mandrake 9.0

I couldn't figure how to use math-macro-arg either, but there is another way to do this.

For example to create a macro \mysum for the sum, enter in the mini-buffer (M-x to reach it)

math-macro mysum 2 (no \ before "mysum")

Then at the box you get, simply enter a sum with subscript "#1" (without the quatations) and a superscript "#2" i.e. enter

\sum_{#1}^{#2}

now when you type \mysum in math mode Lyx will give you two boxes to write the limits in.

Hope this helps,

Amir