Johnathan> Hi folks, I'm modifying a thesis.layout file to get it to
Johnathan> approximate the dvi file a little closer.

Johnathan> DVI: (<--...--> is just a placeholder for spacing)
Johnathan> <---------------------------------> Chapter 1
Johnathan> <--------------------------------> Introduction

[...]
Johnathan> Now I change the layout file to get the labels centered,
Johnathan> with something like this: Style Chapter Align Center End

Johnathan> LyX: Centered labels <----------------------------------->
Johnathan> Chapter 1 <----------------------------------->
Johnathan> Introduction

Johnathan> I've searched the docs. Also the mailing list for "center
Johnathan> Counter_Chapter" without success.

This is a shortcoming of our label layout description syntax. I guess
that what you describe should be the default when centering, but I am
not sure it would be easy to obtain (this code is really horrible).

Johnathan> Has anybody seen or solved this? How do you get the top
Johnathan> label centered over the bottom label? My guess is that I
Johnathan> might have to add a "Center_Counter_Chapter" labeltype for
Johnathan> the layouts, and I will delve into the source code if it
Johnathan> can't be done in the layout. (It might be done manually,
Johnathan> but that defeats the purpose of the "Counter_Chapter"
Johnathan> labeltype.)

It would be better to make this the default behaviour of
Counter_Chapter. If you have the guts, have a look at
LyXText::paintFirstRow in src/text.C. Note that this code is undergoing surgery in
1.4.0cvs.

JMarc