Herbert Voß wrote:
> how would you control the different styles of memoir?
> book - article - ...
> If you write the layout file in this way, then you have
> chapters with the article option, too. And so the
> counting of the sections is wrong.

from meman.tex:
\item[\Lopt{article}] typesetting simulates the \Lclass{article} class,
  but the \cmd{\chapter} command is not disabled.
  Chapters\index{chapter} do not start a new page and chapter
headings\index{heading!chapter} are typeset
  like a section heading\index{heading!sections}. The numbering of
  figures\index{figure}, etc., is continuous
  and not per chapter. However, a \cmd{\part} command still puts
  its heading\index{heading!part} on a page by itself.

So I understand that it is intended to have chapters even with the article
option. Anyway, feel free to improve the layout (it's in CVS now).

Jürgen.