Thanks a lot Uwe.

Installing the fonts fixed the problem.
I figured I should let people know for
future reference.

-Henry

Uwe Stöhr wrote:

I've been using this the Cygwin port of Lyx 1.3.1 with XFree86
for some time now and it has been working fairly well.

( http://wwwserv1.rz.fh-hannover.de/mbau/tim/hentschel/lyx/ )

Recently, I wanted installed a few new components to my Cygwin
system and I it updated me to XFree86 4.3. That's when the trouble
began, and the Cygwin setup program no longer offers the old version
4.2. Also XFig requires the new 4.3 version.

There should be a directory on your computer where all packages you've downloaded for cygwin are saved. Try to reinstall the old version XFree86 4.2, but I assume that you need to reinstall the whole Cygwin again. Because upgrading to version 4.3 and xfig worked fine on my win2000 machine. I've had some troubles with cygwin in the past and the only solution was to kill cygwin including the registry entries (but be careful).

Basically, Lyx crashes whenever it tries to display a math character
such as \pi . The message it gives is

Another reason for your problem could be the fonts. Assure that you use the actual fonts in your directory "xfonts". The fonts can be downloaded from http://www.fkurth.de/uwest/LyX/fonts.zip Extract the file and copy the fonts to your .lyx\..\xfonts and /or cygwin\..\xfonts directory. Now reconfigure LyX. But attention LyX kills these fonts while reconfiguring, so that you have to add them again to the "xfonts" directories.

And here another hint: Do not install the version 0.12.x of the package
libintl2. When you use internationalized menues in LyX this could be a
problem. Try to reinstall the old version 0.11.x.

That's all I can help you.

regards uwe