Sander Klous wrote:

Hi,

I submitted this question last week, but didn't get a response. So
I'll give it another try.

I have lyx1.3.3 installed on RH7.3

I downloaded the elsart.layout from

http://www.lyx.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/lyx-devel/lib/layouts/

and installed it in ~/.lyx/layouts

In the same directory I have elsart.sty, elsart12.sty and elsart.cls
that I downloaded from elsevier and amssymb.sty that I downloaded from

http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/Docs/InsightDocuments/Latex/amssymb.sty?cvsroot=Insight

I ran lyx->reconfigure.

In the output it says:

+checking for document class elsart [elsart,amssymb.sty]... no

And I don't get a listing in lyx->document->class.

What's wrong?

Thanks,
Sander

How is this question becoming such a rat-hole?

Don't put it in /usr/share/texmf---that's where Debian officially updates tetex and all the recommended and dependent packages as well for tetex to run. I can't imagine there would be much of a difference with other Linux distros that follow the /usr/share intent.

Create /usr/local/share/texmf
Then create tex under texmf
Then create latex underneath tex

/usr/local/share/texmf
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex
/usr/local/share/texmf/latex

Extract your packages under the latex directory:

I have the following packages installed:

algorithms/
epigraph/
IEEEtran/
kom-script/
memoir/
paper/
prettyref/
runic/
svjour/
tugboat/

Read the instructions under each latex package that are separate from the instructions within the LyX ->Customization section, which are on the CTAN tex archive site.

For example: Memoir
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/memoir/?action=/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/

excerpt:

   To install the package:
o run: latex memoir.ins (which will generate memoir.cls,
                        and a set of mem*.clo files)
o run: latex memoir.dtx
      For an index run: makeindex -s gind.ist memoir
o run: latex memoir.dtx
o Print memoir.dvi for a hardcopy of the documented code
o Move memoir.cls, the mem*.clo files and any mem*.sty file to locations
 where LaTeX will find them (typically in a local texmf tree at
 /tex/latex/memoir) and refresh the file database.
 See the FAQ on CTAN at help/uk-tex-faq
 or http://www.tug.ac.uk/faq for more information on this.

   To process memman.tex
o Make sure you can use the memoir class and the alltt, fixltx2e,
 layouts and url packages.
o Run (pdf)latex twice on memman.tex
o For an index run: makeindex -s memman.ist memman
o Run (pdf)latex twice more on memman.tex
o Print the manual

NOTE: you'll find that this process is repeatable with all .ins and .dtx files.

Then apply the texhash command spoken of from within LyX-Customization from Step 5

It will create the following file:

/usr/local/share/texmf/ls-R

The apply step 6 which states:

6. From within LyX, do: Options>Reconfigure. Restart LyX.

Verify it works by then checking your Help->LaTeX configuration

Of course it will then show up in the Layout->Document->Document Style->Document class list view.

I haven't had one of the packages that LaTeX configuration has support for not work.

The memoir class even has a very recent patch to it which I'll have to check because it does have bugs outside of LyX.

-Marc