The rpm installs fine. All dependencies are present (at least according
to urpmi, the mandrake apt-get alternative.)

Here's what happens when I run lyx from within gdb. There's a little
more information...

Starting program: /usr/local/bin/lyx

0x40b3f109 in XftDrawString16 () from /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.2