William,

Early I asked since LyX is UI Independent whether or not a desire for a Cocoa UI has been posted besides from myself.

With much of the UI available by AppKit already it would seem if someone has ObjC experience they could ObjC++ LyX and offer this as well as other benefits.

My request pretty much went nowhere with Qt/Mac being present, even though AppKit and Qt aren't the same beasts.

-Marc

William F. Adams wrote:

I'm afraid I dropped of the LyX devel list (couldn't keep up, way over my head).

And I've recently embarrassed myself somewhat thereby (see recent thread on LyX in Mac OS X on usenet:comp.text.tex).

Anyway, I'd like to ask that preserving comments (at least) in imported LaTeX files have at least some continued consideration in the effort to improve the LaTeX import / export.

Also, there's a push in the Mac OS X TeX community to adopt a ``bundle'' format for use by the front-ends there. In Mac OS X (this derives from NeXTstep), a ``bundle'' is a folder w/ an extension which is treated as a document file, so one would have, say:

mylatexdocument.texd (bundle folder)
document.tex (main file)
preface.tex (sub file)
chap1.tex (sub file)
chap2.tex (sub file)
graphics (directory)
graphics/fig1.eps (graphics file)

There's since been a much more in-depth writeup / discussion in the TeXwrapper mailing list.

TeXwrapper mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mail.rna.nl/mailman/listinfo/texwrapper

Would LyX want to make use of such a structure / system? Perhaps the KDE or Gnome teams would find it of interest? Bundles really are a very nice way to manage documents w/ many sub-files.

Ronald?

William