The moc binary is in the /usr/lib/qt3 tree, but the qt libraries are in
/usr/lib64. I can create a symbolic link (and that is my inclination)

You may want to check the help for the configure script.. there's an option to specify the qt libraries directory separately..

from the qt3/lib director to select (*.a) or to all in the real location,
but prefer not to mess with library structures I don't fully grok.

I would think that a symbolic link from /usr/lib/qt3/lib to /usr/lib64 wouldn't hurt (since it's symbolic)...

nirmal