And don't forget that since you are putting styles, classes and packages
inside your local texmf/ directory you have to run texhash and let it update
and generate the ls-R index.

Debian: /usr/local/share/texmf

I run Edit->Reconfigure afterwards and it will work, when there is at least
preliminary support for your package, sty or cls file.

Example: memoir has cursory support, but something like resume.cls has zero
support.  I don't use LyX when I am writing a resume.  I utilize Kile and it
works great.

-Marc J. Driftmeyer