>>Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:32:21 +0200
>>From: Uwe Stöhr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: Charlls Quarra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: Re: different image orientation with pdf and pdflatex
>>
>>> I've noted that in AMS unnumbered report and in
>>> KomaScript book documents (maybe also in some others
>>> or all the others document styles, dont know) the
>>> graphics images are placed in pdflatex exports 90
>>> degrees relative to pdf exports
>>>
>>>  Why is this happening?
>>
>>This happens in all document classes. Pdf-images in landscape format are
>>always displayed in portrait format within LyX. But in the pdf-output
>>should be OK.
>>LyX uses the program ImageMagick to display images. Possibly ImageMagick
>>can't keep the format information.
>>I looked in the description of ImageMagick and can't find anything about
>>this.

It seems to me that this problem is more gs related than ImageMagick related,
because it happens with vector-like eps files where IM is not used.

My understanding of the problem is that epstopdf
(which uses gs pdfwrite output option) includes some automatic rotation
algorithm when the eps file does not clearly indicate what to do.
Everything is OK with eps creation software which ignores orientation
like xfig, but I get failures e.g. with matlab eps export when the landcape
orientation has been selected, or with eps from unknowm origin.

Seems that the problem comes from the fact that latex/dvips ignores these
orientation instructions (which seems a logical behaviour for EPS),
but that gs tries to interpret them, so there
is a conflict between the dvips output and the pdf output.

This has been discussed already in the list, what is the status to deal
with this (boring) problem ?
 - upgrade gs ? (AFPL Ghostscript 7.04 here)
 - use an overlooked gs option preventing this (I thought that
 asking for compatibility with pdf 1.1 could do it, but no)
 - ask for an upper pdf level (her ps2pdf13)
 - rotate the faulty epses in the LyX/Latex doc ?
 - filter the said faulty epses ?

Any robust workaround ?

This happens both with ps2pdf and with sperate use of epstopdf on each file
(as tex2pdf does).

--
Jean-Pierre