Since I'm running Debian Sid I do the following:

mkdir /usr/localshare/texmf/tex/latex

Underneath that directory you can either make a separate directory/folder for
each class style or leave them separate if it is just one file.

For cleanliness I make sure each one has its own directory.  Now if its a
package from www.ctan.org  it usually is tar'd up with its own directory in
the first place.

Underneath my directory tree I have the following so far:

IEEEtran/
algorithms/
epigraph/
memoir/
paper/
pdfcolmk/
pdfdraftcopy/
pdftricks/
preprint/
prettyref/
resume/
runic/

move back up to the /usr/local/share/texmf directory.

run texhash

ls-R should be autogenerated.

Then within LyX run Reconfigure followed by restarting LyX.

Now LyX doesn't fully support memoir so when I need that class I use the
latest version of Kile and code by hand, even though Kile does quite a bit
of helping one out.

-Marc