Thanks for the responses, folks. Please see my replies inline below...

3: Make sure that the two files LaTeXConfig.lyx.in and LyXConfig.lyx.in exist in the .../share/lyx/doc folder. They were missing from my last download of Ruurd's port.

These do not exist it seems.. What should he do?

4: Someone reported on the list that Edit->Reconfigure fails if LyX and the user's home directory are on different drives.

this is also true.. so I'll forward him Jim's post with the link to the new configure.bat ..

I believe his path is also missing Ghostscript so I suspect that this is the culprit... will report back once he tries out these suggestions.

Thanks,
nirmal