You may want to use pdflatex or dvipdfm to circumvent the problem.

Thanks Paul.. I tried dvipdfm but that had the same problem... error while trying to convert from dvi to pdf.. the error from dvipdfm is:

[1kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+437/600 --dpi 1037 cork-lmbx12
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for cork-lmbx12.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
cork-lmbx12: Can't locate a Type 1, TTF, PK, or virtual font file

So I removed the use of lmodern (Latin modern fonts) and dvipdfm now works.. but I'd like to use lmodern if possible... anyone have any suggestions on this?

pdflatex doesn't work since epstopdf has trouble converting my eps images to pdf.. in fact, I don't remember this working well on linux either (pdflatex with eps images).. probably cos my eps images were created using Adobe Illustrator and that gives rise to some difficulties I believe.

nirmal