On Friday 09 July 2004 11:23, George Ellenburg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a book that I'm writing using the standard Book document layout,
> with each chapter as separate include files.
>
> In the defaults for the layout, the book is set for two columns.
> However, there is one chapter at the very beginning (a prologue) that
> I'd prefer to be typeset as one column.
>
> Is there any way to override the default layout for a single file/
> chapter only?

Try the easy method first. Just put  \onecolumn in ERT before the prologue and
\twocolumn in ERT after the prologue. However this method might misbehave and
give unexpected results

The more capable method  is the multicol environment. You need to insert in
the  latex pretext  \usepackage{multicol}. This environment do not play well
with floats that do not span the whole page (the wide floats).
Read more on how to use:

http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/columns.html
http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/tools/multicol.dvi

Ingar