Thanks guys,

I think you'll have saved me a _lot_ of time here.

Jason

On Friday 20 August 2004 21:18, Helge Hafting wrote:
> Jason Hoogland wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Using Lyx in Suse 9.1.  How do I change the quality (is that the same as
> >resolution?) of pdf output?  The default seems quite chunky.  How does it
> >work?  I recall from Windows/Acrobat that you can change the output
> >resolution.
>
> I don't know your exact problem, but  _the_ most common pdf problem
> is that the default computer modern fonts gets embedded as bitmaps,
> and adobe acrobat is lousy at displaying that.  This makes for real ugly,
> chunky text on screen.  (Printing fares a lot better.)
>
> The quick and easy solution:  layout->document and select any other font
> than default. "pslatex" tend to be okay.
>
> If you want the default computer modern font in pdf, then install
> a postscript version of this font. I don't know where to get it or how
> to do it, but it exists.
>
> If you really need to change pdf resolution, run texconfig.   You'll get
> menus for changing a lot of things in your tex setup, including the
> resolution
> options for dvips, dvipdfm and pdftex.  A pdf from lyx is usually made
> using one of those three.  Doing this is probably a good idea anyway, set
> the resolution to match your printer.
>
> Helge Hafting

Jason Hoogland                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Doctoral student                ph(w) +61 7 3365 4067
Centre for Hypersonics          ph(mob) +61 41 33 00 887
The University of Queensland    UTC+10
Brisbane QLD 4072, Australia    http://www.marsgravity.org