Colin J. Williams wrote:
Using relyx to convert a tex file to lyx gives an error message:
Use of uninitialized value at C:/LyX/lyx/share/lyx/reLyX/reLyXmain.pl line 58.
and produces a lyx script which cannot be opened by LyX.

The output is:
C:\LyX\Tex>C:\LyX\lyx\bin\perl.exe C:\LyX\lyx\bin\reLyx -o m2 m2.tex
Use of uninitialized value at C:/LyX/lyx/share/lyx/reLyX/reLyXmain.pl line 58.
reLyX, the LaTeX to LyX translator. Revision date 2003/01/20

Reading LaTeX command syntax
(m2.tex: Splitting Preamble
Creating LyX preamble
Reading layout file
Cleaning... Translating... Writing... )
Deleting temp files
Finished successfully!
reLyX directory is: C:/LyX/lyx/share/lyx/reLyX

I would appreciate advice.

Colin W.

I think the uninitialized value message is a 'false positive'. I tried exporting a LyX doc to TeX, then importing it back into LyX from the LyX File -> Import menu (which calls ReLyX). I got the same message regarding line 58, but the document did open in LyX. Line 58 of the script refers to an environment variable named HOME that does not exist in XP. XP has HOMEDRIVE, HOMEPATH, HOMESHARE but not HOME, and LyX does not export the HOME variable (I just checked). Somehow, though, reLyX muddles through without it.

IIRC, there are documented instances when reLyX fails due to the content of the TeX file (not due to the vagaries of Windows, just for a change). You might check some of the archived postings here. I'm afraid I don't recall the details.

-- Paul

Paul A. Rubin Phone: (517) 432-3509
Department of Management Fax: (517) 432-1111
The Eli Broad Graduate School of Management E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Michigan State University http://www.msu.edu/~rubin/
East Lansing, MI 48824-1122 (USA)
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen: whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different. J. W. v. GOETHE