Uwe Stöhr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:
>
>> | But what happens when a program has no license? I mean nothing. Nobody
>> | is allowed to own it, and that's what we want, right?
>> No. the author still has the copyright. so if there is no license
>> that
>> means that nobody can use it (without explict permision from the
>> author).
>
| Because I'm a newbie in licence issues, I asked a german lawyer and he
| explained me the german copyright as follows:
>
| If some one publishes copyright protectable material without any
| copyright/license, he lost the copyright (he automatically renounces
| the copyright). There is no way to get the copyright back, so it is
| forever public domain.

So Germany does not follow the Berne convention?

The above statement is quite the opposite of most countries
implementing any copyright law, afaik of course.

And please note that copyright is not really releated to license[1].
Copyright it about the authors right to his own created material.
License is what others can do with it.

Pardon me for doubting your lawyer. Can you ask him again?

[1] Only in the way that only the copyright holder can grant a
license.

--
        Lgb