On 30.09.04, José Abílio Oliveira Matos wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 08:04:24AM +0200, G. Milde wrote:
> >
> > I assume, File>Reload was never made for external changes:
> > Reload will not work until I change something in my document. Then it prompts
> >    Document changed. Save? [Yes] No
> > I have to set this to no, as I do not want to overwrite the external
> > changes. Then importing works.
>
>   You are aware that this is not a usual need? :-)

However, even for the "usual" need of reverting to the version on disk it
would not make sense to overwrite the file you are intending to load! A
warning that you loose your content could be sensible though.

OTHOH, I don't think it is that unusal. Quite regularely on this list I
see sed or perl scripts working on the lyx source to solve a particular
problem.

> In this case this a symptom, not the root of the problem. The cause is the
> absence of an advanced search and replace feature inside lyx.

Not really, as this was just one example for the manifold uses of
external editing. Remember the Unix philosophy of small dedicated tools
working together instead of one app does all.

Günter

--
G.Milde web.de