Thanks to all for the suggestions.  As most of you pointed out, I was
not letting lyx do its job of numbering the figures automatically.  I
didn't really need to add a figure number, I just had to write a caption
after "Figure#:" and lyx would number the figure for me.  I wasn't yet
sure what my captions were so I was just looking for the figure number
alone.  Now I know!

Thanks for the help and patience.

Ashleigh