I'm sorry I don't really understand completely your
answer to the fundamental question.

But, OK, Docbook is not LaTeX.  I got that much.

Apparently even though the LyX Win32 version has
templates for these Docbook documents, a user can not
actually create and edit one of them unless other
tools are installed.??     That following the Wiki for
installing LyX for Windows does not provide full
support for some of the base templates?

I conclude that would be more or less correct.

Phil