Geoffrey Lloyd wrote:

I get the following message when i do anything but include form the same directory

Error: Cannot open file:

C:/lyx/tmp/......../c:@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@ch3.tex
Invalid arguement

Somewhere it must be converting / to @ or some such

Geoff

The fact that the drive letter (and colon) appear twice is also quite odd. Is the trailing part of the path (public.gmane.org) really part of the path to the target file? It's also odd that the path would start in the temporary buffer directory -- if you use Insert -> Include File, even pointing to a file in another directory, I don't think LyX copies the file to the temp directory.

Can you post the full error message, plus the correct path to the target?

Are you finding the target by browsing, or typing in the path directly?

Does the DOS window "behind" LyX report anything useful? (If you don't have the DOS window, try running LyX with the -dbg 262145 switch in the command line and see what happens.)

-- Paul