christiaan johannes pauw wrote:

Yes I use afrikaans, english, german, dutch in the document.

Ok, that makes it more complicated. But if you post a complete example LyX-file, I can have a look at it.

Uwe, when you say check for an actual version of my LateX distribition does that mean the SuSE may perhaps only have an old or incomplete version on their disk?

No, not incomplete but the babel-package is updated from time to time. You can update babel manually or use the actual teTeX 3.0 LaTeX-distribution. teTeX 3 is part of the new SuSE 9.3.

regards Uwe