Kevin Pfeiffer wrote:
> see, to some of us laypeople, used to page layout programs, word
> processors, etc., there is no distinction between the TeX package and the
> LyX package---well, maybe in the sense of "front end / back end". I only
> know of TeX because of LyX (not entirely true, but for the argument's
> sake). And I know no more about TeX than LyX forces me to. :-)

I am sorry, I really did not mean to put you down (I am more used to naive
reactions from people using Windows :-) -- no offense intended). Of course,
I do remember my own original questions, and I could just pray that you
will not find them somewhere in archives of some conferences (fortunately,
they were usually in Czech, so that could help).

It could be interesting to make chktex part of tetex (foundation of most TeX
distributions; it's email list is tetex@dbs.uni-hannover.de; also available
as newsgroup gmane.comp.tex.tetex.general on gmane.org), but what I really
meant is that you should send an email to maintainers of your distribution
complaining to them about missing package. Tell them it is really small
program, simple to package (.deb file -- equivalent of .rpm packages on
Debian -- has 93K and that includes rather extensive documentation) and
that users of LaTeX would be glad to have it. If they have at least small
interest in their users' opinion, they should do it. And if not, you know
something more about them :-).

> But, a short, practical suggestion: since it's already in the menu,
> perhaps it should also be listed in the LaTeX Configuration document that
> LyX generates (under Help menu) as an optional (TeX) package, along with
> a brief description of what it can do?

Yes, this is a very good idea. Go to http://bugzilla.lyx.org and file a wish
about it (so it is recorded for eternity and somebody could actually do
something about that).

Best,

        Matej

--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej

Of course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings,
and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.
      --John Huston in "Chinatown."