Sven Schreiber wrote:

>>If this does not help, you might ask Eitan at gurari AT cse DOT ohio-state
>>DOT
>>edu.
>>

> yep I did that and will post any further hints to this list.

Ok, Eitan Gurari replied to my email and here's the promised follow-up:

first some interesting news (?) about eps in oolatex:

<eitan>The current version of tex4ht
(http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/TeX4ht/bugfixes.html) should
load the eps pictures into the sxw files without conversions, so for
such files the G-scripts in tex4ht.env are not relevant.  If the
conversion to DOC doesn't support EPS I would argue that the problem
is with the conversion utility as OpenOffice seems to be satisfied
with such files.
</eitan>

"current" here refers to April/May 2005 I guess. Afai understand the
non-bugfix distribution of February doesn't do that, or at least
otherwise I cannot make sense of the documentation.

With respect to my eps-from-latex-to-doc-via-sxw/openoffice-problem he's
right, it's an openoffice bug if they don't convert the embedded
eps-images correctly. Nevertheless he apparently added a user option as
a workaround:

<eitan>I modified the bugfixes distribution of tex4ht to allow the user to
override the default setting through an instruction of the form
\Configure{graphics*} {eps} {}. In such a case, the G-script of the
tex4ht.env will be applied to the eps files.
</eitan>

Now this apparently means a post May-29th-2005 distribution. I'm still a
tex4ht-newbie, but it seems to me that in order to use this
\Configure-thing you must either include it in the latex source file, or
you load a config-file which however means you cannot use the
"oolatex"-shortcut. (I'd love to be corrected on this one.)

Finally he explained how to choose between the g-scripts in tex4ht.env,
which may have been obvious to others, but not to me:

<eitan>
there are two options: <convert>...</convert> and
tag and </convert> end tag are preceded by spaces. If the spaces are
placed instead before <netpbm> and </netpbm> then the second option
will take over.
</eitan>

Hope this is of value for somebody,
sven