You have

>> User Lyx directory: 'C:/Documents and Settings/db/.lyx/'

Maybe the problem is that you have your user directory set to a directory with
spaces in the pathname?  It may not be in this case, but I'm sure it will give
you trouble later.

http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/LyX/WindowsSetup says:

"Install the programs above into folders that contain no spaces in the name.
Eg. C:\LyX"

If it could deal with spaces in the user directory, surely it wouldn't need
that restriction?

The way I get around this is to map a local network drive (X:) to the Documents
and Settings directory so as to avoid having to create yet another top level
directory.

Brian

David Boutillier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am having difficulty getting LyXWin working properly.

1) I have followed the detailed notes for installing LyXWin on XP from the
LyX/WindowsSetup page of the LyX wiki-wiki.

2) I have opened LyX from a command window with the command lyx -dbg 3. In
the command prompt window. Among the things produced on the screen are:

Path of binary: C:/LaTeX/LyX/lyx/bin/

Checking whether LyX is run in place. no

System directory search path: C:/LaTeX/LyX/lyx/Resources/lyx/;
C:/LaTeX/LyX/lyx/share/lyx/;usr/local/share/lyx

System directory: 'C:/LaTeX/LyX/lyx/share/lyx/'

User Lyx directory: 'C:/Documents and Settings/db/.lyx/' .

3) When I reconfigure I get a lot of stuff in the command window. Some of it
is as follows:

C:\LaTeX\LyX\lyx\share\lyx\..\..\bin;
C:\LaTeX\LyX\lyx\bin;c:\latex\imagemagick-6.2.3-q16;C:\LaTeX\texmf\miktex\bi
n;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\Sustem32\Wbem

Usage: C:\LaTeX\LyX\lyx\bin\sed.exe [OPTION] .

.

configure: error: cannot find chkconfig.ltx script.

What does this error mean? How can I fix it? Also, I have the folders
c:\latex\gs, and c:\latex\ghostgm that are not mentioned in the search path.
I tried changing my PATH to include every folder with an .exe file that has
anything to do with LyX, but that hasn't seemed to make any difference.

4) I have upgraded to a more recent version of sed. When I enter sed
-version into the command window, I get:

GNU sed version 4.1.4

5) I deleted the .lyx folder from c:\documents and settings\, and
that got things mostly working, but when I try to export of view a .lyx file
as a .pdf, I get a dialogue box that says "Cannot view file. No information
for viewing PDF (dvipdfm)". I have Acrobat reader 7.0 installed in a nearby
folder whose name does not contain any spaces. Also, when I export a .lyx
file as a .ps file, ghostview does not open, and I cannot control where the
.ps file goes. Is this to be expected?

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

djb

David Boutillier