Uwe I guess you misunderstood the question.. but I got
the answer from another person and I will forward it
here (I am supposing, and I hope that he doesnt mind
me forwarding this to the list).

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

--- Jean-Claude Christnach wrote:
dear Jose,

The explanation is  simple and there is no bug at all:

This key is a so called dead key. These are used to
produce combined
letters like â or Ü (you have an Ü on a german
keyboard but you can also
produce it with a dead key sequence).
So the of the dead key doesn.t appear immediately but
only after
pressing the letter with which to combine it. Try
pressing the space key
after the caret and you will see that it will appear
on its own. So you
will need 2 keypresses.

best regards
Jay Christnac