Martijn Brouwer wrote:
> As far as I know type1 fonts (such as lmodern) scale just by multiplying
> the width and height by the same factor. The CM and EC fonts are scaled
> more subtle depending on the size. I assume that the lmodern fonts
> look the same as EC modern at all font sizes. How doest that work?

You are right, that expressibe abilities of Metafont are much bigger than
Type1's. Therefore there are two options how to create Type1 fonts
emulating Computer Modern fonts -- either just to select some most used
size of tons (which is I assume what lmodern does), or to generate A LOT of
Type1 fonts. There IS the font which does the latter
<http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/cm-super.html>, but
the result is that fonts itself is huge (whole tarball with many thousands
fonts has over 70MB) and the resulting documents (if you use many fonts)
are big as well.

Matej
--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej

He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to
the dictionary.
      -- William Faulkner
         (about Ernest Hemingway)