Thanks to everyone for their comments, which I have found illuminating.
It seems to me that RCS would probably be sufficient for me now, as I am
a single user but that CVS would cope with future developments if my
colleagues also adopt Lyx. So I'd go for RCS now, if I could find any
information on how to install it! The RCS lists are full of spam going
back to 2001, so I reckon nobody uses them any more. Does anyone on this
list have an idea of how to install RCS (or CVS, for that matter) on
WinXP? Grateful for help!