I was lazy and typed several pages with ordinary text for variables x, y, and z. Later, I wanted to convert those to math, and I try to highlight the things and hit C-m. That does create the math box, but it does not convert the existing character to the math font. The only fix I could find was to manually retype all the letters I wanted converted.

Does Lyx work that way on your system?

I'm running Lyx-1.3.5 with qt gui on Fedora Core 4.

ps

I tried changing font to italics, but it does not look the same as letters in math mode.

--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504