I absolutely agree with Mark's arguments and am very happy with Lyx
and, particularly, with their way of doing mathematics. However, I
have a question a little off thread: I can't get the reasons of creating
the lyx format, which is quite similar to latex, instead of directly
using latex, why was it necessary?

   jorge

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Mark Carroll wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
>
> > Can anyone summarize pros/cons of the various options listed in this
> > thread?  You're all using (and most are actively developing) LyX, so I
> > assume you see some advantages to LyX, right?
>
> I like it as a LaTeX front-end with a much shallower learning curve. I
> like LaTeX because it does a good job of figuring out the large-scale
> typesetting (floats and things). I don't want to manually do typesetting
> in a case-specific manner because whenever I modify the document I then
> end up having to re-typeset it.
>
> -- Mark

#  Dr. Jorge A. Hernando          #   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  #
#  Physics Dept., CNEA            #   phone: 54-11-6772-7106        #
#  Av. Gral Paz 1499              #   fax:   54-11-6772-7121        #
#  (1650) San Martin              #                                 #
#  Pcia Buenos Aires              #                                 #
#  Argentina                      #                                 #