I have seen similar problem on my colleagues computer, we resolved it using
the workaround with PATH as described by Angus.
To my understanding, the trouble is, that saving the full path
 "F:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\acrord32.exe"
in the preferences, adds extra " around it, so that it looks like
 ""F:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\acrord32.exe""
and, when this is read by lyx, it appears as empty string ("").

Vasek

> then everything works for the duration of that LyX session.
>
> But when I exit the program, and reenter the program, no viewer is
> listed when I select "Edit->Preferences" and look under PDF.  However,
> the viewer IS listed in the actual preferences file.  For some reason,
> LyX is failing to load this preference from the file.
>
> I tried Angus' suggested work-around of setting the path to include
> f:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader, and then just set the
> viewer to acrord32.exe.
>
> Interestingly, LyX IS able to load the path from the preferences file,
> and the viewer of just acrord32.exe just fine.  It can remember the
> viewer when it is acrord32.exe but not the longer full pathname, which
> is certainly a bit baffling.
>
> However, when I try to view the pdf with those settings, it IS able to
> open the viewer, but cannot find the temp pdflatexed file to open.
> Argh!  So, this combination of settings doesn't work, but for a
> completely different reason.
>
> --Mark
>
> On 9/8/05, Stephen P. Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ing. Vaclav Smidl, Ph.D.                tel: +420 26605 2420
AS department,  Institute               web: http://www.utia.cas.cz/AS/smidl/
of Information Theory and Automation,   fax: +420 26605 2068
Prague, Czech Republic