Stephen> Unfortunately, I think it is more likely that you forgot it.
Stephen> Do as I say, not as I do.

Let's forget about it, then :)

The points that interest me in that discussion are:

- the fact that the tetex rpms might not be of very good quality on
  RH. This is not an anathema, AFAIK. Actually, I think P. Flynn knows
  more about (La)TeX that anyone else I know on this list (Herbert
  Voss excepted, maybe; I am going to piss of the other TeXnicians
  I forgot...), and his thoughts about this are appreciated.

- we should try to build LyX in a way that allows for changing TeX
  distributions as easily as possible. In particularly, people who
  want to use the TeX Collection distribution should be able to do so
  with minimal hassle.

- the code that searches for a latex executable was written by me at a
  time where LaTeX 2.09 was not uncommon. I can accept the fact that
  it is now completely inadequate.

- the fact that configure is run at install time (and thus as root as
  Peter points out) is indeed a problem. It causes griefs to the
  windows installer too. I'll try to remove this for 1.4.1.

Discussions about moral censure and ethics are an unneeded distraction
in this context.

JMarc