[Apologies to those of you who are seeing this twice.]

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bennett Helm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
> On Sep 13, 2005, at 10:03 AM, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > the configure script walks your $PATH looking for sgmltools and/or
> > db2dvi to decide whether or not to configure docbook support. Fink
> > probably put those in /sw/bin.
> > If that's the case, you need to add /sw/bin the path used by LyX. On
> > tiger (sorry, I'm a Mac newbie and haven't dealt with anything else)
> > you edit ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. There's a GUI plist editor
> > available, but the file is just XML text, so you can use your favorite
> > text editor on it as well.
> Actually, if all you want is to add /sw/bin to the path that LyX
> uses, you should do it from within LyX itself: LyX > Preferences >
> PATH > PATH Prefix. (For LyX/Mac-1.3.6, the default settings already
> have /sw/bin there.) If you add something to the PATH setting in
> ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, that will apply to *every* OS X
> application, which is probably overkill and potentially a security risk.

Whether or not it's overkill depends on how many applications you have
that want to use programs from fink (or, in my case, darwinports). I
have a couple, so doing things this way is easier for me.

I found this method while trying to figure out why LyX wasn't finding
my darwinports software. That I didn't find the LyX > Preferences >
PATH > PATH Prefix methods suggests a doc bug. This appears to be a
Mac issue - I don't find the PATH entries in preferences in 1.3.5 on
my Unix box. Might just be my not having taken time to read the docs
properly, though.

        <mike

--
Mike Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.mired.org/consulting.html