I myself have recently suspended use of lyx, after at least 3 months of
daily use.
I was running it on linux, and then when I needed to use Windows on a daily
basis, I managed to get it installed there.
What discouraged me was not the fact that I hadn't acquired the lyx
mentality, but rather that I found the program to be not yet "user-friendly"
enough to do what I would like it to do. [I'm not a computer scientist, so I
don't know the exact definition of "user-friendliness"].
There are a small number of areas in which I would like to see improvements,
and when they come (as I expect they will), I'll go back to lyx.
One of these is the bibliography style manipulation (whatever it's called).
I scoured the internet trying to find something to read that I could
understand and easily implement about jurabib, and other arcane matters. I
didn't manage to get what I wanted. What the user like me would want is a
kind of "set up your bibliography style" wizard or something.
The other problem, and I've mentioned it, is documentation. The available
documentation is pitched at people with a certain skill-set. And obviously,
the program suits them, so that's fine. But the documentation (beyond what
is included in the program itself) is far too technical for someone working
in the humanities, who's needs might be quite modest compared to those
working in mathematics, or whatever.
So, as it stands, I've gone back to Openoffice. But I've brought my lyx
experience with me, and I never manually change anything anymore. If nothing
else, lyx has taught me how to use a word processor properly.
But I'm looking forward to the emergence of the lyx of the future. I have a
sense of how these things develop, so I know that this will take time. But
I'll be glad to move back, whenever we get there.

Declan