_____/ On Sat 15 Oct 2005 18:08:21 BST, [Paul Smith] wrote : \_____

On 10/15/05, Roy Schestowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My question possibly refers to conversion at a level lower than that of LyX, but
regardless:

I often find that my supervisor, who is an avid Windows XP user, cannot view
documents that I compile in LyX as PDF (this has gone on for over 2 years, PS support needs additional software for Windows). I believe he uses the latest of
Adobe Acrobat Reader, but he might be on version 6, still. The PDF's that I
generate appear fine in both KGhostScript and Acrobat Reader 6, as well as
version 7 (both Fedora Core II and SuSE). The problems I have come across are
as follows:

* Images disappear arbitrarily (not all of them), sometimes re-appearing as the
viewer goes from one page to another.

* Document text appears 'out of boundary' completely so the body seems to have
slid outside.

I am somewhat worried as reviewers who receive my PDF's are more likely to be Windows users and I do not want to give them the hassle or be led to knock my head against the wall, trying to resolve Adobe's bug or, less likely, Windows
bugs. I may as well point out that, at my end, I have never had any problem
opening PDF's that had been originally generated under a Win32 environment.

Any idea what might be causing this? How can this be avoided? I have no Windows machines to test this on and I see no reason why I should. Isn't the intention of PDF's to remain consistent across platforms (among other things)? It is not
a Web page that I need test under different O/S's and browsers, so I am
somewhat upset with whoever is to blame for the deficiency. To me, it's almost
like an embarrassment to LaTeX when my supervisor sees corrupted PDF output.

Roy,

That is a very strange problem! I have very often viewed my pdf files
(generated by LyX on Linux) on MS Windows computers, and
systematically with no problem. One thing I would try first, would be
to give a problematic pdf file to other MS Windows users to check
whether the problem is specific to your supervisor's computer or not.

Paul

He upgraded (changed) his laptop over the years (and I am fairly sure Acrobat
Reader too), so there must be a pattern based on something that I do. I have
just been led to believe that this may have something to do with the route I
take to PDF generation.

I can vaguely recall having some doubts when choosing routes, but nonetheless,
the very idea of WYSIWYG anomalies is worrying. It reminds me of these
inconsistencies among different versions of Word. It used to stun me when I saw the same document appearing in all sorts of forms having come out from different companies' printers. It's one of these factors that forces customers to upgrade
Office -- a conquer-then-extend marketing strategy.

Many thanks,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
 6:10pm  up 51 days  6:24,  5 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.56, 0.54