Angus Lemming wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I can in fact see the user dir in the About menu; however,
>> placing my files there didn't fix the problem. Please help!
>>
>>> Hi all, I'm trying to install the algorithms layout (from
>>> http://bgu.chez.tiscali.fr/). I followed the instructions exactly
>>> as specified in the accompanying readme.txt (my HOME is my cygwin
>>> home dir so I copied all the files to under my .lyx directory
>>> there, I defined TEXINPUTS to point to the packages dir, and I ran
>>> Reconfigure). I still don't see any algorithm style available. The
>>> readme.txt mentioned that I could find out where the user directory
>>> is located by looking under Help > Version, but I see no such menu
>>> option
>>> (Help > About LyX doesn't specify this).  I'm using LyX 1.3.6 and
>>> MikTeX. Please help!! Thanks in advance.
>
>LyX will look for .layout files in the ${LYX_USER_SUPPORT}/layouts
>directory where
>     LYX_USER_SUPPORT="$HOME/.lyx"
>on *nix and, I guess, Cygwin and
>     LYX_USER_SUPPORT="C:/Documents and Settings/USER/Application
>Data/LyX"
>on Windows.
>
>So, question 1: you're using the Cygwin executable, right?

I'm not using the Cygwin exe (I wasn't aware there is one; how does it
compare to the native?), but rather the one downloaded straight from
the site.

>If you install the LyX layout file correctly, you should be able to
>find the thing in the Layouts->Document menu. If the LaTeX class is
>not installed correctly, then the class will be marked as
>"unavailable", meaning you can edit your .lyx document but you won't
>be able to generate a .dvi file, etc.

Yes, I determined the possible locations, and the variable to set them
(LYX_USERDIR_136), but I've tried puting files in both locations to no
avail. I don't see the new layout at all.