[drifting off-topic....]

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
> The problem is that "for" splits the returned list of files using
> whitespace...
>
> Perhaps the bigger problem is that you can overrun the internal array size
> used by "for" to store the list of returned list of files.

"Running out of argument space" always triggers my xargs detector:

        find foo -name '*.gif' -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 convert -f gif

Which has the advantage that it will work properly on files with
newlines in the name.

Note that this uses my "open" utility symlinked as "convert", not the
"convert" command that comes with Imagemagick. That just happens to
do the right thing in this case.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.mired.org/consulting.html