Suppose I have some text that has a lot of quoted speech in it, but it's
supplied using standard (") straight single and double quotes.

Is there some pre-processing tool that will try to convert them to
proper curly quotes suitable for LaTeX (``) and ('')?

I know it can't be done perfectly and will need manual tweaking, but
there must be something to do most of the work.

All I can think of is to use some word processor that has a "clever
quotes" function (e.g. MS Word) and then use something like wvLatex to
export that to LaTeX format. Or do a search and replace.

Is there a command-line tool that does this using some heuristics to
cover most areas that could be problematic?

Paul.