[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Does anyone know, if it is possible to get rid of the word "chapter" in the
> chapter title without losing the numbering as well (using chapter*)?

Assuming you're using the "book" document class, find the file
"book.cls". do a search for "Chapter" and you can see a line like this:

  \newcommand\chaptername{Chapter}

To override this definition, just add this to the preamble to your document:

  \renewcommand\chaptername{}

That should drop the word "Chapter" from the chapter headings, the table
of contents, and the page header.

If you're using some other document class, there is probably a similar
way. Note I'm fairly new to LaTeX so others might have a better way!

Paul.