David Wolfson wrote:
This would suggest that ifsym is not properly installed.  Did you (a)
install it and (b) update your TeX file database?  If so, try 'kpsewhich
ifsym.sty' from a shell to see if the system knows where to find it.

a) not that I'm aware of! I think this is what I really need some guidance on. Do I need to install it on the system, as part of Tex/LaTex/Lyx?

Yes, as part of your LaTeX distribution.

Is there a 'howto' out there I should look at?

Have a gander at http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/74e0c7f1463c2800/63afac8d94f2a096%2363afac8d94f2a096?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=0&num=3

b) again, a newbie Tex breakdown....?

# kpsewhich ifsym.sty

gives no output :-|

That's consistent with the package not being properly installed.

The ifsym package should include a Postscript file named ifsym.ps, which is the manual (in German). Section 2 explains where to store the pieces, after which you have to rebuild the TeX file database (see the URL above).

Paul