----- Original Message ----- From: "Angus Leeming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 6:12 AM
Subject: Re: TeXLive 2005, LyX and Windows xp

Stephen Harris wrote:
Next I installed winlyx 1.3.6 made by Angus. It was necessary
to change from default of Miktex to C:\TexLive2005\bin\win32

Stephen, can you find out if TeXlive has an entry in the registry so
that the Windows installer can check for its existence?

I think the default install directory is C:\TexLive2005, I don't remember
any choice for changing the directory which is called "TLroot"
Don't know if this will help but I saw TLroot associated with the entry
for C:\TexLive2005 in
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Controlset001
\Control\Session Manager\Environment
(also TEXMFTEMP , TEXMFCNF, but nothing latex.exe specific)

Thanks, Stephen. I'll send Uwe a link to your mail.

--
Angus

You're welcome. I was rather surprised that this worked almost out
of the box. The LyX installer made changing to another kind of latex
quite easy with a browse button to go to: C:\TexLive2005\bin\win32

I've been reading the texlive mailing list. I found the following thread
about pdflatex and space in the pathname informative.
http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/  in the November archive.

Bruno wrote:>      I chose to install it on c:\Program File\TL_2005\

"when I type, on a command line, the exact following line (in one line)
pdflatex "c:\Program File\TL_2005\texmf-dist\tex\latex\base\sample2e.tex"

I get the following answer :

This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.3-2.2 (Web2c 7.5.5)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
! Undefined control sequence.
No pages of output."

Fabrice Popineau provided this interesting reply which I thought
was interesting because of the information about quoting and \

* Bruno Piguet <bpiguet at teaser.fr> writes:

   > when I type, on a command line, the exact following line (in one
> line) pdflatex "c:\Program File\TL_2005\texmf-dist\tex\latex\base\sample2e.tex"

The answer :

c:\>pdfetex "\"c:/source/fptex tests/a b.tex\""
pdfetex "\"c:/source/fptex tests/a b.tex\""
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.30.3-2.2 (Web2c 7.5.5)
\write18 enabled.
%&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(c:/source/fptex tests/a b.tex
(c:/Program Files/XEmTeX/texmf/tex/context/sample/tufte.tex))

1 - you can't use \ in path names with TeX (guess why ...)

2 - the double quotes you used are removed by the command line
interpreter, so you need to quote again the pathname.

However, the OP said this didn't fix his problem which may have
been related to TeXnic; but the fix involves a "nonstopmode" switch
which is basic to latex *.tex conversion (at least in logs I've viewed).

Wolfgang Fleischer wrote:
Hello
May be you are faced with an long existing error in the
output profiles of TeXNicCenter.
Please check the LaTeX => PDF Profile. Find the entry for
arguments sent to the compiler. It should read as
-interaction=nonstopmode "%Wm"
Probably it reads
-interaction=nonstopmode "%pm"
now which causes the error.
Compare with the other profiles. They all should be ok out of the box.

I realize this is a different editor. But it gave me a new appreciation
of the subtleties involved in making LyX interact correctly with Latex.

Regards for the forward slash,
Stephen