On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at  8:30:59AM -0500, William F. Adams wrote:
> My guess here is that lmr and lmr10 are getting used in an
> unsupported encoding.

Examining my TEXMF tree, I find in .../fonts/tfm/public/lm/:
  cork-lm*.tfm
  qx-lm*.tfm
  texnansi-lm*.tfm
  ts1-lm*.tfm
where "*" represents the full suite of b,bx.r,ri,ro,ss,tt,etc.,
in sizes 5,6.7,8,9,10,12 and 17.  I think, as a bit of a novice,
that cork, qx, etc. are various encodings, and that cork is a
TeX standard thing that I'd expect to be supported.

> ptmr == the knock-off of Times bundled w/ GhostScript
> yfrak == nifty fraktur font (you should be able to install this...

Both ptmr and yfrak "just work" out of the box after the unadorned
teTeX installation (they come as part of teTeX-3, as does lm).  I
should mention that I removed all traces of the teTeX-1.0 installation
prior to installing teTeX-3, and configured the new one to include
everything except the cjk portion.

> >The TFM files seemed to get built automatically as needed for the
> >ec fonts, so I'd think the same would happen for the lm family,
> >but so far, they're not.
> I think if you set it up so that the font is called out in a
> supported encoding you'll be fine. Don't use lmr10 though, if
> you're not setting a 10pt. dropped capital, instead pick a larger
> optical size so it'll look nicer.

Yeah, I realized after I sent my prior note (and examining the
lmodern.sty file) that "lmr" is the name to use.

Any suggestions how to "set it up so that the font is called out in a
supported encoding"?  I tried referring to the font as "cork-lmr" but
that gives the same LaTeX error:
   Font \BIG=cork-lmr not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
    \bigdrop{0em}{\droplines}{\dropfont}{T}
(after \newcommand{\dropfont}{cork-lmr} in the preamble)

The fact that the teTeX installation set up the other fonts, like yfrak,
so that they're usable makes me think the problem is something simple.
When I tested the yfrak font in preparation for this note, I noticed
the View->DVI process made a new entry in teTeX's VARTEXFONTS tree
(I hadn't used yfrak since the teTeX-3 install); no action occurs there
with the Latin Modern fonts.

If I knew what's different, from TeX's (or LyX's) point of view,
between "ptmr/yfrak/ecrm1000/cmr10" and "lmr", I'd know what direction
to charge off in.  As I said, my novice status opens up lots of alleys
to explore, many of which, though interesting and edifying, don't
solve the problem at hand. :)

Thanks for the response,

Jim